An allergic reaction to jewelry is a common form of contact allergic dermatitis. Most people who are allergic to jewelry are allergic to nickel. Even those who believe they are allergic to gold or silver are usually actually allergic to nickel. Most jewelry contains some nickel and an allergic reaction occurs when nickel touches the skin. The skin can become very red and itchy or dry and thick. In a more severe allergic reaction, the skin can actually blister.
Women are more likely than men to suffer from contact dermatitis from jewelry, perhaps because they are more likely to wear jewelry. If you develop a reaction to metal, a dermatologist can help you pinpoint which specific metals you are allergic to. If you are allergic to nickel, you can often still wear higher quality jewelry.
If you have a jewelry allergy, you need to be careful when selecting your jeweler and jewelry pieces. You will also most likely need to purchase higher carat gold items. The higher the carat gold, the lower the nickel content. For example, 24 carat gold contains 99.9% gold while 9 carat gold is only 37.5% gold and the rest is other metals, like nickel. The lower the carat content, the more likely you are to have an allergic reaction.
Having a jewelry allergy keeps many people from purchasing jewelry, but this does not have to be the case. You will need to be selective about where you purchase from. If you are searching gold jewelry Scottsdale you will find us at Gold Buyers AZ. When you come in, speak with one of our knowledgeable staff about your allergies. Our jewelers will be able to help you select beautiful pieces while helping minimize the chance of an allergic reaction. Shopping from a reputable jewelry store will ensure that you are purchasing high quality gold that will be less likely to trigger an acute reaction.
This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 23rd, 2014 at 4:06 pm
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.